Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 25 September 2010

Trafford




Trafford FC are named after the borough in Manchester where their home ground is based, between the towns of Urmston and Flixton. Originally called North Trafford in 1990, the club began life in the Mid Cheshire League.

Trafford moved into the North West Counties League in 1992, before changing to their current title in 1994. Promotion was also won that year as the hard workers at the club made the necessary ground improvements. By 1998 the club were plying their trade in the Northern Premier League although relegation was suffered in 2003. In 2008 they regained their place by lifting the NWCL title.














Trafford FC will be playing in the Northern Premier League Division One North in season 2012-13.


My visit
Trafford FC 0 Altrincham 5 (Tuesday 20th July 2010) Pre Season Friendly (att: approx 200)

I was in Greater Manchester on the second of three days groundhopping and generally enjoying life in the area and had marked this game off a week or two earlier whilst scanning the Non League Paper.





I arrived at Shawe View extremely damp after being caught in a torrential storm in nearby Flixton. Because the transport links to my hotel were poor I decided to carry on regardless. I twenty minute walk had warmed my up a bit and I wasn’t entirely sure the game would be on, but I went along so I could take photos of the ground anyway before heading home.

I think the admission was £6 with the A4 four page folded programme warranting “whatever you think suitable”. How nice and a massive change from Brigg Town who charged £1 for a similar issue. I gladly put 50p in the bucket.

My first impression was how glad I was that I made the effort. Shawe View really was a smashing little ground and an absolute credit to those who tended to it. The people at the club were nice as well. It makes such a difference when the raffle ticket seller is polite without being pushy.














Down the Shawe Road side were the entrances and a grass bank for spectators with a portacabin clubhouse and small seated stand containing the changing rooms. The grass bank continued around behind the Golf Course End. The far side which was near to the railway had a long cover with seats at the front and flat standing at the rear. Flat open standing flanked this structure. A nice cover behind the Urmston End goal completed the scene.





I had previously read about the ground in the excellent Fred Eyre book, “Kicked into Touch” as it was at Shawe View his Manchester City career was ended as that was the venue that City “A” team played their fixtures back in the 50’s and 60’s.

I was delighted to get inside the snug and most vitally warm clubhouse for a pint of smoothflow Boddington’s and to examine the programme. Free newsletters were also available so I took one for further reading. The catering at the ground was done by the type of local middle aged ladies that seemed to run catering at every non league ground but have seemingly being replaced by franchises and prices to match.

The game was very competitive on an immaculate playing surface which probably benefitted from the downpour. We had a couple of showers throughout the game so the ball skidded around. Trafford gave it their best shot and looked good in patches before defensive howlers let them down, which was ill advised against Alty’s more experienced, fitter and clinical line up.














It was 3-0 at half time which soon became four after the break despite Altrincham making mass changes during the interval. Trafford continued trying and tightened up at the back before the final goal went in near to full time.

I had enjoyed the game and my surroundings. I just wish I’d been a little more comfy and not so damp! I went to catch a train from the nearby Chassen Road station back into the city to get a tram connection back to my hotel in Sale. I had an early night and turned on the radiators in my room to try and dry everything out for my third day adventures.




No comments: