Club History
Early Years
Wembley FC was formed in 1946 following the merger of local sides Sudbury Wanderers and Sudbury Ratepayers. As members of the Middlesex League, the team lifted the title in 1947-48 before joining the Western Division of the Spartan League. The ‘Lions’ became founder members of the Delphian League in 1951-52.
Five years later they joined the Corinthian League. When that competition was disbanded, Wembley became a member of the Athenian League as a Division One club in 1963-64, winning promotion to the Premier Division four years later. Further progression to the second tier of the Isthmian League followed in 1973-74.
![]() |
| The Main Stand, later destroyed by fire |
FA Cup Run and the Main Stand Fire
In the 1980-81 season, Wembley reached the FA Cup first round for the first time, where they went down to Enfield. Around this time, a fire destroyed the Main Stand at Vale Farm. The side was relegated to its third tier at the end of the 1995-96 campaign. The side regained its previous status before dropping back down a level.
Following league reorganisation, Wembley were placed in Division One North in 2002-03, dropping back down to Division Two at the end of the season. Further non-league restructuring four years later saw the club being allocated a place in the Premier Division of the Combined Counties League.
![]() |
| My sketches of Wembley FC Click on the image to enlarge it. |
Terry Venables and Budweiser
Soon after, the club was bought by new Chairman Brian Gumm. Homeless Hendon FC moved in to play their home games at Vale Farm. In the 2011-12 season, Wembley's FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round cup tie away to Ascot United was shown live on cup sponsor Budweiser's Facebook page, which was a first in broadcasting. That was just the start of the story.
Budweiser became the club sponsor on 15th March 2012. The company provided plentiful facilities as well as an upgrade of the clubhouse. A couple of weeks later, Terry Venables was appointed as Technical Advisor alongside player-manager Ian Bates.
International Players Star for Wembley
The major news didn't end there as on June 21st, 2012, Budweiser announced that they had funded the signings of veteran internationals Graeme Le Saux, Martin Keown, Ray Parlour, Brian McBride, and Claudio Caniggia, as well as David Seaman as goalkeeping coach to appear in the 2012-13 FA Cup competition.
Long after the kerfuffle had died down, Wembley were moved laterally to the Premier Division of the Spartan South Midlands League in 2014-15, with Bates still in charge of the team after playing over 1,000 games for the club.
In 2017, the club once again received national spotlight. This time, the FA, the owners of Wembley Stadium, got involved in a trademark dispute over the Wembley Lions’ logo. The FA claimed it could lead to confusion with the stadium. The dispute was eventually resolved.
Wembley returned to the Premier Division North of the Combined Counties League for the 2021-22 season. Three years later, the team finished in the relegation places, dropping down to Division One. They reached the playoffs but lost their semi-final to Bedfont.
I spent a pleasurable afternoon groundhopping in May 1999, soon after I arrived in London to live. This was after I told a pyramid-selling company where to shove their job after I'd sussed out what they intended me to do to earn a crust.
Wembley 1 Great Wakering Rovers 1
Monday 3rd August 2020
Certain COVID-19 restrictions were in place, prohibiting spectators from attending semi-professional football. The friendly game announced online between Cricklewood Wanderers and Lopes Taveres didn’t fall into that category.
Cricklewood
Wanderers were tenants at Wembley. I headed up there to see if I could watch
and have a good walk to exercise at the same time. A fella was coming out of
his club office, so I asked him if the game was on.
He did everything he could to deny there was a match taking place, from asking me who I was and how I heard about it, all in an aggressive manner. He said no spectators, and it’s not here. He wouldn’t tell me where they were playing! In the end, the opponents were arriving.
The match was being played on an AstroTurf pitch at the sports centre next door. I didn't bother looking, not that I could be stopped from looking on from beyond a wire fence if I'd been desperate or stubborn. No worries about not being admitted. I hadn't travelled far and had a nice sit in a park and walk instead.
I could understand club officials being edgy and only gave myself a 50/50 chance when I set out, but his attitude was aggressive and awful. Especially when a little bit of camaraderie among the so-called football family would have been appreciated.
As I said when I left, I’m a non-league football fan, not the police, and I might want to spend money at his club. Perhaps the colour of my skin was the problem?
Further Visits
I visited Vale Farm twice more to watch Hendon FC home games while they were Wembley FC's tenants.






.png)
.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment