Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 19 December 2020

Biggleswade United

 

Biggleswade United FC is a non-league football club from the Bedfordshire market town of the same name who were formed on July 16th 1959. A club of the same name competed in the 1920’s but are of no connection.

However, the “new” United took up residence at the old clubs Second Meadow ground on Fairfield Road, alongside the grounds of Biggleswade Town FC and Biggleswade Cricket Club.

United became members of Division Three of the North Hertfordshire League, where they remained until joining the South Midlands League in 1969, where the team was placed in Division One.

United struggled for several seasons, finishing bottom of the table in 1979-80, 1981-82 and 1982-83. After occupying the same position in 1983-84, the club dropped down to Division Two of the Hertfordshire Senior County League.

A further switch came in 1986 as Biggleswade joined the Bedford & District League, where they were crowned as Division Two champions in 1990-91, going on to win Division One in 1991-92. United’s success continued with Premier Division titles in 1994-95 and 1995-96.

This was rewarded with promotion to Division One of the South Midlands League, winning the divisional title and League Cup upon their return in 1996-97 to become founder members of the Spartan South Midlands League Senior Division.

The competition merged with the Spartan League in 2001, leading to a reorganisation with United playing in the second tier Division One. County cup successes followed prior to a third place league finish in 2004-05 led to promotion to the Premier Division.

Finishing in the lower third of the division was the order of the day, with United narrowly avoiding relegation in 2009-10 and 2010-11. Slight improvements came in ensuing years before the club took a change of direction in October 2014.

Chairman Chris Lewis sent an email to local resident and Spanish football expert Guillem Balagué asking if he wanted to become involved at the club. He accepted and became the Director of Football.

Cristian Colás was appointed as head coach, while former Espanyol and Chelsea midfielder Enrique de Lucas payed a handful of games for the side. The teams league finish improved yearly, ending in ninth in 2016-17 before Colás departed.

Performances continued to improve with eighth in 2017-18 and then fourth in 2018-19 and then third under Chris Devane when the 2019-20 season was cut short owing to the outbreak of Coronavirus after Balagué had taken over as chairman.

Devane moved on to Berkhamsted leading to the return of Colás in June 2020. A great start to the 2020-21 campaign saw United sit top of the table at Christmas before the league was brought to a premature end owing to Covid-19. 

The club was moved to the United Counties League after being denied promotion to Step 4, managing to avoid relegation before being transferred back to the SSML where an eighth place followed in 2022-23.

Gareth Hunt and Jordan Wright took over from Colas as joint-bosses leading the side to a midtable finish in 2023-24.

Biggleswade United FC will play in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division in the 2024-25 season.

My visit

Biggleswade United 4 Harpenden Town 1 (Tuesday 15th December 2020) Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division (att: 83)

I was pondering over several choices, the games at Fleet, Horsham YMCA and Ashford Town battling for attention when I decided upon Biggleswade United, having already been to Biggleswade Town and being impressed by United's social media set up.

What should have been an easy enough journey started to get interesting when I fell asleep in the chair after a socially distanced lunch with my pal Jarvo in the JDW in Cricklewood, the four pints including a strongish 99p dark ale used to wash down my curry no doubt assisting in my slumber.

Probably still not fully alert, and running a tad late for any chance of further libation at my destination, I made the fatal error of presuming when arriving at King's Cross. For as long as I can remember trains on the Peterborough line have always left from the platform on the far left next to the new hall. I saw people boarding so on I jumped.

I sat there happy on a fairly deserted service messaging friends far and wide without a care in the world. I didn't even worry when our first stop was Letchworth. Until I checked Google Maps, and then the alarm bells started sounding. I'd caught the Cambridge train.

I got out at Royston where a train heading in the other direction was just leaving. Fortunately this line is now well served with the addition of Thameslink services heading towards Sussex so I didn't have to wait too long to head back. I checked Uber cars but no driver was available at Letchworth. I remained on until Hitchin where I procured an Uber cab.

Ivan the Bulgarian driver wasn't short of opinions about Covid. Well I did ask him! While I didn't particularly agree with him it was good to listen to different thoughts. He did a fine job in getting me to the Second Meadow ten minutes after kick off.


I apologised to the gate man for being late! He, like all the other club folk I came across, were friendly and helpful. I bought a pasty and cuppa for £3 and was offered a free mince pie with it. I wasn’t going to turn down an offer like that!

There was no score on my arrival, but the Harps soon went 1-0 up with a fine shot from the edge of the box from Ryan Plowright which seemed to leave keeper Taylor Haddow a tad flat footed.

United soon responded with full back Dave Parkinson having a shot superbly saved by visitors keeper Alex Desmond who excelled all night. However, they were soon level as Jordan Wright controlled at the back post to drill home.

Shortly after Charlie Black was somehow denied by Desmond with Charlie Clayton's follow up being cleared off the line. The hosts were not to be denied just past the half hour mark when Eithan Flanagan headed home a Charlie Hayward corner.

I was really enjoying the game on the massive playing surface as Harpenden gave as good as they got, still creating decent attacks of their own, piling on pressure in the final few minutes of the half, which continued after the restart before United scored the vital third goal.

To the consternation of the away bench a player over elaborated in midfield and had his pocket pinched by Codi Lee-Spavins who played in Clayton to finish neatly. It would get worse for the Harps when Hayward was brought down in the box. 

Parkinson's spot kick was brilliantly saved by Desmond. The taker saw a header smash against the bar from the resulting play before Hayward fired wide in a great spell of action.

Harpenden didn't throw in throw in towel and continued to contribute to an entertaining contest. Substitute Dan Parkinson rounded off the scoring with six minutes remaining with a low shot.

I headed back through the attractive looking town with the impression of a progressive friendly club. The match had been screened free of charge on the Twitch TV App and the aforementioned social media was top drawer. I ordered my ticket for £6 online but didn't receive email confirmation.

I sent an email to secretary, Tracey James who got straight back to me to let me know that my name would be on the list at the gate. Quality service at another club where invaluable volunteers play their part. The excellent online programme was also free to download.


Fortunately, there were no dramas on my journey home with the warm train turning up on time and I was back indoors before 11.30. A cracking night before the short bungee rope was attached for a few weeks after further restrictions were announced by the government.





No comments: