Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Kempston Rovers

Kempston Rovers FC is a non-league football club formed in 1884, in the town of Kempston in Bedfordshire, which is located just to the south of Bedford, with the river Ouse dividing both settlements.

The club initially entered the Bedford & District League, winning the league title in 1907-08 and retaining the championship twelve months later. Kempston became members of the South Midlands League in 1927. 

In 1953 'The Walnut Boys' became members of the United Counties League, winning the second division in 1954-55, prior to becoming league champions in 1957-58, as well as runners-up in 1956-57 and 1959-60.

Relegation to Division Two of the competition followed in 1960-61 owing to a lack of facilities at the Hillgrounds venue. An upgrade and performances on the pitch saw the team regain their higher status the following season. However, poor form saw the team relegated again in 1962-63. 

Finishing runners-up in 1967-68 saw Rovers return to Division One, which was retitled as the Premier Division from the commencement of the 1972-73 campaign. Rovers were crowned as United Counties League champions in 1973-74 after the club had moved to a new ground further along Hillgrounds Road.

Several cup successes were accrued, prior to Kempston being relegated in 1982-83 after the club came close to folding. The Division One title success of 1986-87 saw the team return to the Premier Division under manager Bobby Folds, prior to moving into another ground, which was the third they had played at along Hillgrounds Road.

Relegation followed in 2002-03 shortly after the club had turned to community status as they changed their name to AFC Kempston Rovers as Kempston Youth and Kempston Town clubs joined under one umbrella, to assist in their bid for funding.

Major re-developments at Hillgrounds Road commenced in 2005, which sparked success on the pitch with promotion being sealed in 2006-07 after the new stand had been built along with other facilities. However, Rovers were relegated again in 2007-08. 

Dave Randall arrived as manager, settling the ship, and adding some cups to the cabinet along the way. The team was promoted in 2010-11 as Division One champions prior to James Stoyles and Gary Flinn taking over team affairs.

The United Counties League title was secured on goal difference in 2015-16 before the club dropped ‘AFC’ from its name. The championship was rewarded with promotion to Division One Central of the Southern League.

Rovers were placed in Division One East for the 2018-19 campaign, one in which Tony Joyce became manager in November 2018. He was replaced by Scott Dash in August 2021 after a couple of seasons that were abandoned owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Kempston survived relegation thanks to a win in a playoff game as Eccleshill United were defeated on penalties. Chris Nunn was appointed as manager shortly after, but only lasted a few months before being replaced by his assistant Ashley Fuller.

 

James Hall was given the manager’s job in June 2023, but only lasted eight games before being dismissed. Richard Keil stepped into the role in October 2023 after an interim period overseeing matters.

Kempston Rovers FC will play in the Southern League Division One East in the 2023-24 season.

My visit

Wednesday 1st August 2012

I was in good form when I and my mate, Scarborough Athletic supporting mate Ian Anderson to take in another match together. The weather was glorious, and Team GB were doing well in an amazing Olympic Games. Indeed, Ian brought me the news of Bradley Wiggins gold medal as he collected me at Bedford station.


We were heading to that evening's pre-season friendly between Bedford Town and Cambridge United, but beforehand Ian had kindly offered to show me a couple of new grounds for these pages.

I had originally intended to walk to Rovers Hillgrounds past the brewery where Bedford Town's much missed Eyrie ground once stood and over the Ouse. However, I wasn't complaining at the offer of a lift! We found the ground down Hillgrounds Road easy enough and Ian parked up while I went inside to have a look.


A gentleman came out and I asked if I was OK to take some photos? He was fine about it, after initially being concerned as to what we were doing. Naturally enough, he asked us to please keep off the pitch.
 
The ground was neat and tidy with open flat hard and grass standing on three sides and a long stand containing both seating and standing in front of the clubhouse, changing rooms and Bedfordshire FA offices. Opposite was an all-weather court and the dug outs.  It was obvious that the funding had come through and had been used well.

We departed to make our way to our next port of call, the home of Wootton Blue Cross FC.



No comments: