Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Wednesday 30 August 2017

Willington

Willington FC is a non-league football club from the former mining town of the same name, which is located in the north east of England in County Durham. The club was formed in 1906, playing in local football before joining the Northern League in 1910.

‘The Blue & Whites’ quickly made an impact as they finished as Northern League runners-up in 1912-13 before lifting the title the following season. The second league championship arrived at Hall Lane in 1925-26.


The 1927-28 campaign saw Willington reach the semi-final of the FA Amateur Cup, where they were defeated by Cockfield at Kingsway, Bishop Auckland in a replay after the first game at Darlington’s Feethams home ended level.

In 1929-30 a third Northern League crown was collected before the side went on a fine Amateur Cup run in 1938-39. Wins over Moor Green, Kingstonian and Norton Woodseats saw Willington reach the final, where they were beaten 3-0 by Bishop Auckland at Roker Park.


The club appeared in the first round of the FA Cup in 1945-46 where they once again fell to Bishop Auckland. The 1949-50 season saw Willington finally lift the Amateur Cup, after dishing out a 4-0 hiding to Bishop Auckland in front of 88,000 fans.

The 1950-51 season saw the club in the first round of the FA Cup once again, but the appearance ended in a 3-1 defeat at Spotland to Rochdale. In 1957-58 the team ended the campaign as Northern League runners-up, before following the performance up with a third place ending the season after.


Several lower middle table finishes were the order of the day throughout the 1960’s before the club had a brief renaissance in the first half of the 1970’s. In 1973-74 Willington drew 0-0 at home to Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup first round. However, the Ewood Park replay ended in a 6-1 defeat.

In 1975-76 a fine FA Trophy run saw victories accumulated against Lancaster City and Macclesfield Town, before the Blue & Whites bowed out away to Nuneaton Borough. Willington ended the season as Northern League runners-up.


In 1982-83 the team was relegated to the recently formed Division Two of the Northern League. The following two decades were a real struggle as the town suffered from the pit closures and depression of the period.

The team finished bottom of Division Two in 1983-84 and 1991-92 before being relegated to the Wearside League in 2005-06. The hard times continued with the side finishing second bottom of the league in 2008-09 and 2009-10.


The club turned itself round with a fifth place finish in 2011-12 being followed up with ending as Wearside League runners-up in 2012-13 and gaining promotion back to the Northern League.

The return was a struggle as Willington narrowly avoided relegation on a couple of occasions; culminating in an eighteenth place finish in 2016-17.


Willington FC will play in the Northern League Division Two in 2017-18.


My visit

Wednesday 25th January 2017

It was a very pleasant winter’s afternoon in County Durham as I continued to gallivant around the area using my excellent value one day bus ticket. I was in particularly good form after visiting some cracking venues and historic football clubs.

The X46 bus carried me from Crook to Willington. As we headed down the hill of West Road the football ground came into view on the right hand side. I alighted at the Commercial Street stop and walked down Hall lane Estate to the ground, where the gates were open.


Two gents were working on the ground, of which pride of place went to fine old seated grandstand on the far side. Covered spectators were catered for by a sturdy little roof behind the top goal, a modern build at the other end and an overhang in front of the clubhouse and changing rooms.

The main buildings were by the entrance opposite the seating, while the rest of the ground had plentiful hard standing and grass banking sloping down towards the pitch. It was another fine venue in the old heartland of amateur football.


With my photos complete I walked through the estate, getting a little bit lost before finding the Rockingham Road bus stop from where I caught the 109 service to Bishop Auckland to have a peak at Kingsway, which was now just the home of the local cricket club.








No comments: