Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Saturday 6 May 2017

Wadham Lodge


Wadham Lodge FC was a non-league football club who were based at the Wadham Lodge sports ground  Walthamstow in north east London who ended life in 2019 as Leyton Athletic FC when they resigned from the Eastern Counties League.


In the summer of 2008, Waltham Forest FC, former tenants of the Wadham Lodge ground, departed to share Cricklefield Stadium with Ilford FC so Martin Fitch, the former Forest assistant manager, decided to form the new club, Wadham Lodge FC.

Lodge began their life playing in the Essex Business Houses League, finishing in third place and progressing to the Essex Olympian League for the 2009-10 season, where they finished as Division Three champions.


The 2010-11 campaign saw the club win the Division Two title. The run continued as after a year of consolidation Wadham Lodge ended the 2012-13 season as Division One runners-up and winning promotion.

After ending in fourth place in 2014-15 Wadham Lodge were promoted to the Essex Senior League where they finished in a credible sixth place in their debut season under manager and chairman Neil Day.


The side ended 2016-17 in fifteenth followed by nineteenth the following season before new owners changed the club name to Leyton Athletic. The team finished bottom of the table in 2018-19 under manager Jason Ngandu.

A dispute with the owners at Wadham Lodge saw the club evicted from the ground as the team were relegated to the Step 6 Division One South of the Eastern Counties League. Furqon Nur Karim was listed as manager but the club resigned before playing a game as they were unable to secure a suitable home ground.


My visits

Leyton Pennant 0 Uxbridge 1 (Saturday 22nd April 2000) Isthmian League Division One (att: approx 80)

Click here to explore my experience.

Wadham Lodge 2 Barkingside 0 (Wednesday 14th September 2016) Essex Senior League (att: 32)


As ever, matches were at a premium on a Wednesday night within the M25. It was a beautiful late summers evening and I wanted to do something with it as I was off work the following morning. My tube ride started on a packed service to Wembley Park as Tottenham Hotspur were at home to Monaco in the Champions League at the national stadium.


It was great to see the excitement of young fans in the Spurs kits. It brought back memories of my youth when I was falling in love with the game. However, I had what I considered more interesting fish to fry a few miles nearer Hotspur’s traditional home.


My tube ride eventually deposited me at Walthamstow Central, from where I boarded the 215 bus to the Brettenham Road stop, from where it was just a short walk up Brookscroft and then Kitchener Road to the entrance of Wadham Lodge.

The 3G pitches and 5-a-side courts were in good use as I passed then through the car park on the approach to the main ground, where I paid £8 admission, which included the match programme.


The ground was an impressive one, even if it had seen better days, with low covered terraces behind each goal, a covered seated stand on the near side with open standing either side. The far side of the pitch had a couple of steps of open terrace along with both benches. This is where I headed once I’d bought a cup of tea.

I was familiar with the verbal antics of ‘Side boss Gus Gulfer from a visit to Cricklefield the previous season. His counterpart Neil Day turned this into what I described in my scribbles of the time as “The Battle of the Whinging Benches”.


The nearside linesmen was doing his very best to keep order as either bench looked to wind each other up and have a go at every decision the referee made. A lone bloke further along muttering to himself complimented the scene perfectly.

On eighteen minutes Lodge took the lead from what I considered a dubious penalty decision. Mr Gulfer definitely agreed with me! Andrea Mantovani stroked home the spot kick to make it 1-0. The pitch was grassy but hard and bobbly, not that it deterred Barkingside’s tricky pair of Jason Fontaine and Michael Ademiliyu who impressed.


The game had been littered with stoppages for injuries, which didn’t help the continuity. It gave the respective benches plenty of scope for advice. Before half time the excellent ref Wally James decided he’d heard enough and gave both managers and assistants his version of events.

The midges decided that my chubby flesh constituted a tasty supper, so I moved back round to the main side before the interval for another warm drink and to read the programme in the seats.


After the break Lodge put in a decent shift and doubled their lead nine minutes in as they broke away with Vladut Gabriel Sighiartau being put through to round keeper Sam Roach and roll the ball into the empty net.

Lodge were never under any real threat as the game continued and they racked up their second home win of the season. I’d departed just before full time to catch the 97 bus back into Walthamstow. I nearly jumped out to try beers in the attractive looking Ye Olde Rose & Crown but decided to leave it for another day.


Instead I took the Overground service to Hackney Downs, from where I took the walkway to Hackney Central and a beer in The Cock Tavern on Mare Street before heading back to Kingsbury via West Hampstead to end an enjoyable evening looking at the glum faces of the Spurs fans in JJ Moons in Kingsbury.







No comments: