Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Sunday 17 January 2010

Three Bridges





Three Bridges FC is a non league football club, based in the neighbourhood in Crawley, West Sussex. "The Bridges" were formed in 1901 and within a year they had become members of the Mid Sussex League. In 1919 they changed their name to Three Bridges & Worth FC. 


Bridges became founder members of the Sussex County League Division Two in 1952 and between 1953 and 1964, they became known as Three Bridges United. The club remained in that league for three decades or so, playing in various division and picking up occasional honours along the way.

In 1968-69 the team won promotion from Division Two to the top flight of the Sussex County League before being relegated in 1972-73. However, Bridges recovered to go straight back up at the first attempt.


Another demotion was suffered at the end of the 1976-77 campaign before the top division status was restored in 1979-80. The 1980's saw an upturn in the clubs fortunes as the team ended as league runners-up in 1985-86, 1987-88 and 1988-89.

In 1992 the clubhouse at Jubilee Field burnt down and took two years to rebuild. Three Bridges were relegated again back to Division Two in 1996-97, where they lasted for two seasons before returning to Division One at the conclusion of the 1998-99 campaign. 


The club continued along and gradually putting in some improved league performances until lifting the Sussex League title and promotion to the Isthmian League in the 2011-12 season as well as reaching the last thirty two of the FA Vase 

Five seasons of steady Isthmian League Division One South finishes followed before the team finished second from bottom of the table in 2016-17, which resulted to relegation to the Southern Combination as the Sussex County League had been renamed. 


Three Bridges FC will compete in the Southern Combination Premier Division in the 2017-18 season.


My visits

Saturday 22 December 2007

I had whizzed through Three Bridges many times on the train to the south coast without stopping off. I decided that I'd visit the club's home at Jubilee Field, whilst on my way to a game at Horsham that afternoon.


The ground looked a picture. It was extremely tidy and obviously well cared for, surrounded by a wooden perimeter fence. The gate was open behind the goal so I wandered in. Down the right hand side touchline there stood a neat seated stand on the half way line. 

Opposite was a long clubhouse, changing rooms and club facilities. The roof cleverly overhung to protect any supporters wishing to stand up in comfort away from the elements. The rest of the ground was made up of flat open grass and walkways which were all in good order.


The groundsman who doubled up as a club official was preparing the ground for a reserves game that afternoon. He took time out to have a natter about who I supported and what I was up to. I told him of my plans for the day and that I intended to call in on Crawley Town to have a look at their Broadfield Stadium. He told me not to bother with the train and gave me directions on foot.

I left the ground in a pleasant mood. Gentlemen like the one at Three Bridges are what football is really all about, not the avaricious "businessmen" who blight the game and ruin it for decent loyal supporters. Unsurprisingly, he was bang on with his directions and estimated timing.


Three Bridges 0 Horsham 1 (Monday 26th August 2013) Isthmian League Division One South (att: 251)



I awoke for my early shift at 5.30am having originally agreed to turn out for Hampstead CC in a friendly game. However, my body ached and the thought of chasing leather around the wide expanses of the Lymington Road ground for up to forty over was too much, so I pulled out.

That said, I still needed some nice activity after not seeing the glorious sun from my bunker at Dollis Hill station, and I had plenty of choices in the way of 3pm kick offs. My plan for the season was to see matches at as many places I’d just called by to take photos off in the past.


The Sussex derby at Three Bridges appealed, especially after my relief showed up to give me plenty of time to catch the train from West Hampstead. A change at St Pancras got me on board a direct service, which arrived at 2.35pm. Despite doing the relatively simple walk once before, I still went the wrong way, but found an alleyway from the main road to the grounds entrance.

Admission was £8 with a thick programme costing an additional £2. I ventured round to the clubhouse, but decided against a beer. Instead I opted for an excellent cheeseburger and a cup of tea. The service was slow as the lady behind the hatch was working solo, but it ensured that the food was griddled to perfection.


The Jubilee Field ground was similar to how I previously remembered it, save for the addition of a small modern raised seated stand along from the clubhouse, to satisfy the ground graders when Bridges gained promotion.

I had noticed over the previous week that the two games I’d been to in Sussex had seen an increase of referees being lenient on tackling and general misbehaviour. Again the man in black let far too much go in the early stages of a feisty game.


Over half the crowd were cheering on the visiting Hornets from Horsham, and they made plenty of noise. Action in the penalty areas was at a minimum but there were plenty of meaty challenges going in. I’d moved behind the end that Horsham were attacking and was chatting to a photographer I’d met at Littlehampton the previous Sunday, when a moment of real class lit up the game.

Finally winger Tony Nwachukwu confirmed his ability as he attacked his full back and whipped in a delicious cross, which Jamie Cade headed into the corner of Martin Grant’s net. The wide man carried on and nearly set up another goal on the stroke of half time.


I retired to the bar for a decent pint of Doombar. Some imbibed, but pleasant visiting fans came in and sat around me. Their assessment of the amount of adverts in the programme was cutting, but not totally unfair.

I wasn’t in great form as news was coming in that Scarborough Athletic were 2-0 down at Lincoln United as I headed out for the second period. Worse was to come from Lincolnshire, where it was now 3-0. I hoped for an exciting second half at my game.


Instead I saw the game become more ill tempered. I wandered across to the far corner, to get a little bit of shade from the blazing sun. The Horsham bench made for entertaining listening, even if it wasn’t ideal for a family audience.

Somehow a home midfielder remained on the pitch after kicking out following a late challenge. Three Bridges were on top, but Horsham looked dangerous on the break thanks to the tireless work of Gabriel Odunaike. Eventually the lenient referee lost his patience and sent the visiting skipper Jahmahl King for an early bath for collecting two yellow cards.

Despite home pressure, I always fancied Horsham to hold out. Their bench were close to popping with anger at the injustices that they felt were being handed out by the officials. To be fair, even mature fans were shaking their heads in disbelief.


By now I had a huge smile as Scarborough had somehow dragged themselves back to draw 3-3. As the final whistle went at Three Bridges, there was an extra cheer apart from the Hornets faithful. I wandered back to the station ready to get home for a meal and to watch the Manchester United v Chelsea game.

Unfortunately the train services were abysmal, meaning I got home nearly an hour late. My meal was great, but the TV spectacle boring. Indeed, I thought my match had more about it, albeit of a much lesser quality. I was therefore somewhat surprised when my brief report on the excellent Non League Matters Forum (http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?) was questioned by others in attendance who considered it a terrible game.

It’s all about opinions!






No comments: