Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 12 January 2010

Banstead Athletic














 
Banstead Athletic FC are a non league club based in Surrey near to the downs and Epsom Racecourse. The club were formed in 1945 as Banstead Juniors FC, before taking on their present title in 1947. "The A's" played local league football for many years before making the step up to the Spartan league in 1965. Banstead also competed in the Athenian and Isthmian Leagues before resigning and dropping down to the Combined Counties League in 2006.

The clubs greatest achievement was reaching the semi final of the FA Vase in 1997, before being knocked out by Whitby Town. From the early 1990's their Merland Rise home also played hosts to Epsom & Ewell FC, who sold their West Street home. However, In 2010 they moved on to share at Merstham FC.

In 2012 Athletic finished bottom of the Premier Division table and were relegated.

Banstead Athletic FC will be playing in the Combines Counties League Division One in season 2014-15.


My visits


I set out for Merland Rise one day in December 2006. To reach Tadworth where the club is based, necessitates a train ride to Tattenham Corner station. I had done this twice previously for visits to Epsom races but on this occasion I narrowly missed the hourly train, putting my plans backward somewhat.











 
I eventually arrived and took the bracing walk up the Downs listening to the breaking news that Marcus Trescothic had pulled out of the Ashes Tour. I tried to convince myself that this wouldn't hamper the England team or spoil my forthcoming trip to Australia.

I was most impressed by the set up at Merland Rise. It was a very neat ground. The entrance was in one corner, where the facilities were also based. A small cover was erected behind the goal at this end. A seated stand was on the far side, with more cover opposite. The rest of the ground was open and consisted of a few steps of terracing.

 










 
Kingstonian 2 Eastbourne Borough 0 (Monday 5th September 2011) FA Youth Cup Preliminary Round (att: approx 50)




I had packed plenty in to my long weekend off work, but I didn't want to waste a night off. The Non League Paper didn't draw up much inspiration, although the Tony Kempster messageboard has a section asking where fans are going to watch games. This flagged up that there were many FA Youth Cup games to be played. After visiting the FA website, I drew a list of possibilities.

After visiting members of Hampstead CC's victorious 3rd XI who were still pretty much under the weather, but possibly looking for a 'livener', I made my excuses and made a move. I was still undecided where to go. The match between Staines Town and Harrow Borough was tempting, but ideally I wanted to get to a game on a ground I'd already featured on this blog without watching a match on it. Added to this, I wanted to go somewhere that was a bit further afield and awkward when working the next day. 


 









I plumped for Kingstonians match against Eastbourne Borough, which was to be played at The K's youth venue of Merland Rise. They used Banstead's home because their shared Kingsmeadow home was already under pressure of usage from both K's and AFC Wimbledon games.

I took the tube to London Bridge and just as luck would have it, I had time for a couple of fine Harveys ales in the Market Porter, which was always a pleasure. It took some real discipline to go back to the station and get aboard a packed train to Tattenham Corner. The ride took just over an hour and then required a brisk walk which I managed in a far shorter time than I'd estimated. I was there in just twelve minutes.

All was looking good. The clubhouse was open, and a basic eight page programme had been produced which was included in the admission price of £5. I paid in advance and made my way inside for a Newcastle Brown and to catch up with Sky Sports News. The club was busy with local residents as well as matchday fans, which was obviously a good sign.


 









Quite a few fans had travelled up on the coach from Eastbourne. They were not impressed with the admission fee! The teams warmed up on the well appointed practise pitch next door to the main ground before returning to the changing rooms.

This was my first FA Youth Cup match since the first leg of the 2000 final at Highbury, so I was interested to see what the standard would be like. Boro started out the stronger of the sides. The players were of a bigger build and had a more direct approach. However, once the K's got into the game, their fine football simply shone. I was sat in the Main Stand to try and keep out the wind and rain, where a collection of assorted bucket seats that could well of seen action previously at disused arenas offered some comfort.

The referee gave a debatable penalty to the K's, which the keeper came up and converted. That was a first for me. I did like the way that the players generally accepted the decisions in the proper manner. I even heard an aplogy for a mistimed tackle on one occasion.

I went to keep warm with a bovril in the clubhouse at half time. I thought £1.50 was a bit steep, but I was very cold! I had a walk around the fine ground. I liked the way all the litter bins were the triangular type found outside newsagents in my youth. They all displayed adverts for R Whites soft drinks.

The K's came out the far better side in the second half. Some of their free flowing football and individual skill was brilliant. They had the best player on the pitch in skipper Ben Cheklit.        The keeper Joe White also added confidence and a physicality which aided the side. I noted that I would surprised if neither player didn't play at a high standard of non league football in the future.

 









A second goal came from another good move and an assured finish. Eastbourne tried to get back into the game, but to be honest their only looked likely to be one side going to score.

I left a couple of minutes before full time to walk down the hill to the station, using a short cut I'd earlier seen commuters take. I alighted from the train at East Croydon and jumped aboard a fast service to London Bridge, where some Charlton fans were waiting for a train home after their home match with Sheffield Wednesday. That game had been another option for me, but given the value for money between the two, I knew I'd made the right choice.

I returned home tired, but delighted I'd made the effort. I'd seen an excellent game of football and some great skills on display, plus Merland Rise was off my list of grounds to see a match at!










No comments: