Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 12 September 2009

Carlton Town






Carlton Town are based in the suburb of that name on the outskirts of Nottingham. The club was formed in 1903 as Sneinton FC before changing their name in 2002.













The change brought 'The Millers' success as they won the Central Midlands League and promotion into the Northern Counties East League. After further good performances they began the 2008-09 season in the Northern Premier League Division One South. The side continued to improve and reached the semi final of the 2011-12 play offs.

Carlton Town FC will play in the Northern Premier League Division One South in 2014-15.



My visit

Tuesday September 15th 2009

I was Nottingham to go on to watch Scarborough Athletic play at Long Eaton United. My locally based Boro supporting mate, Pete Moss was giving me a ride around to visit some grounds. I was going to visit Carlton Town the following day on the train but Pete reckoned it was too far from the nearest station so he kindly took me there.













The gates were open and a lady was inside the buildings preparing for an evening fixture so she gave me permission to wander about. There was a smell in the air from a nearby sewage plant. The Bill Stokeld Stadium is not far from Gedling Town's Riverside home and I had passed it when going there a couple of years previously.

The ground has had to grow with the clubs rapid rise through the leagues. It appeared quite basic for a Northern Premier League venue. The near side had a large building containing the club facilities with a roof overhang at the front to cater for fans wishing to stand under cover. To the left, an all weather training pitch was located with a flat little open standing in front, which continued down the far side. The grounds' seated stand was behind the other goal in the form of one of the modern easily assembled construction so prevalent at non league venues around the country.

The ground has room for improvement, should the club progress any further.



















No comments: