Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 1 July 2009

West Allotment Celtic



West Allotment Celtic FC is a non-league club based in Woolsington, Newcastle Upon Tyne who were formed in 1928 in the Tyneside village of West Allotment around three miles north of the Tyne Tunnel.

For their first fifty five years of existence the club played in junior and local leagues before progressing to the Northern Alliance in 1983. League titles were won in 1986-87, 1990-91 and 1991-92 before the club became tenants of Whitley Bay FC at Hillheads Park in 1995.


Celtic continued to become a major force in the Northern Alliance winning further titles in 1997-98, 1998-99 and 1999-00 before moving to the Blue Flames Club at Whitley Park in Benton in 2001.

Further championships were won in 2001-02 and 2003-04 to take the tally to eight. The final win came in the same season as Celtic reached the fourth round of the FA Vase before going out at home to Cray Wanderers.


West Allotment were promoted to the Northern League for the 2004-05 season, also reaching round four of the Vase once again. This time Soham Town Rangers ended any dreams of Wembley at Whitley Park. Consolation came as the Division Two title was lifted to go up to the top flight.

The club were relegated at the end of the 2010-11 season after a spell of six years in the top flight. A runners-up birth in the 2013-14 season saw Celtic return to the top flight for the following season.

A sharp increase in rent saw Celtic depart the Northumberland FA headquarters at Whitley Park to cross the city to become tenants at Druids Park for the start of the 2016-17 campaign.


The move didn’t bring any luck, as the team finished in bottom place and were relegated to Division Two. A degree of stability was found in 2017-18 to end a period when the clubs existence was in doubt with resignation from the Northern League becoming close at one point.

West Allotment Celtic FC will play in the Northern League Division Two in the 2018-19 season.


My visits

Friday 2nd October 2008

My visit to Druid Park came several years before Celtic headed west across the city. I’d been to have a look at Kingston Park, where the recently expunged Newcastle Blue Star saw out their last years.

I returned to the station and caught a train west to Callerton Parkway, as the planes flew closely overhead. Druid Park, or the Wheatsheaf Ground as it was called during Blue Star's tenure was a short walk down a road past the Wheatsheaf pub.


Many years later it would become the home of West Allotment Celtic. The ground was open, so I could pop inside to have a decent look. Druid Park had the relatively new 3G pitch with open spectator facilities all the way around.

The near side had the clubhouse and changing facilities along with a car park. The only covered area was a small stand on the far side, which was emblazoned with 'Gosforth RFC' on the back wall.


I left the ground and took a further train to the terminus at the airport. I hadn't taken up plain spotting, but I had a lunchtime appointment with my friend and fellow Scarborough fan Bunner and his good lady Anita.

He had rung me the previous evening from Jarrow where he had been staying before their intended annual holiday to Turkey. That morning he called me again in somewhat of a state. They had turned up to be told that their flight and holiday was cancelled because of lack of bookings.


After what I can only imagined to have been harsh negotiations, they agreed to compensation for a better hotel but a later flight. It was the least I could do to join them in the departure terminal for a few drinks!

I said my goodbyes and promised updates from Boro's game the following day, before catching the Metro back to the city to connect onto a train south of the river to carry on my afternoon adventures.

Saturday 3rd October 2008

The following morning, I went on to Whitley Park; Celtic’s home of the time. I was on my way to Esh Winning v Scarborough after some heavy groundhopping the day before. I had left my less than sumptuous B&B in Whitley Bay, ready to visit five more venues.


Alighting from the metro at Benton station, I made the short walk to Whitley Road where I found the car park and entrance to the complex. A junior team was meeting there for a game elsewhere, so I got a few hello's as they probably thought I worked there.

I found an open gate and walked into the ground to find quite an impressive venue. I was on top of a grass bank looking down to a path by the pitch side fence. At the top of the bank was one small covered shelter.



Further along was two small seated stands separated by the players tunnel before some steps led down to the pitch, meaning spectators can get an excellent elevated view of proceedings.

A path and grass standing were behind the goal to the left while just an expanse of grass stood on the other two sides with more pitches. Lots of buildings containing offices, sports facilities and changing rooms were behind the stands on top of the bank. All the pitches looked in immaculate condition.


As I left I wondered just how some clubs and grounds seem to be held to ransom by the stringent ground graders while some get away with it. Whitley Park was very neat and tidy but I was under the impression that hard standing was required more than was in evidence here.

Then I looked behind me and saw a sign that may have given the game away. Whitley Park was home to the Northumberland FA after all!

For further photos of Whitley Park, please click here.









No comments: