Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Friday 24 July 2009

Billingham Town

Billingham Town is a non-league football club that was formed as Billingham Social by Tom Donnelly and Robbie Cushley in 1967, in the industrial town a few miles north of Middlesbrough.

Being accepted into Division Two of the Stockton & District League, playing home games at Mill Lane, saw the team win the title at the first attempt in 1968-69 to progress to the ‘A’ Division, winning that section in three consecutive seasons, going on to become members of the Teesside League in 1974.

The side was crowned as champions in 1978-79 and again in 1981-82, their first season in their Bedford Terrace home, which was rewarded with a place in Division Two of the Northern League, with the club changing its name to its current title.

The future Middlesbrough, Manchester United and England defender, Gary Pallister, began his career with the club around this time, with ‘Billy Town’ winning promotion in 1984-85 shortly after his departure. Relegation followed in 1985-86, prior to the team regaining their Division One status at the end of the 1987-88 campaign.

Town dropped back down a level on goal difference in 1989-90 before they ended as Division Two runners-up in 1996-97 to head back to the topflight of the competition, where they ended as league runners up in 2006-07.

Bedford Terrace was gradually improved before receiving a huge boost in 2007 when Hartlepool United spent £180,000 on it. £130,000 of that money was spent on the pitch while the rest saw facilities completely updated. United signed a fifteen-year deal for their reserve team to use the ground.

Unfortunately, this led to problems with the deal over a misunderstanding, which led to the terrible situation of Hartlepool taking Town to court for the princely sum of £10,000. Thankfully common sense prevailed, and the action was dropped at Christmas 2010.

However, the playing budget was cut following Hartlepool's departure, leading to a succession of short spell management appointments and the eventual relegation of the team at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. Barry Oliver was appointed as manager providing stability to the club.

The 2016-17 season saw the side reach the fourth round of the FA Vase, falling to eventual finalists Cleethorpes Town as Craig Hutchinson broke the club’s scoring record. Peter Martin, the stalwart club secretary and chairman called it a day.

The 2017-18 season saw new manager James Hunter step down during a season of turmoil. A decline on and off the pitch saw attendances fall with morale at a low. The Billingham Town Supporters Trust was formed, and they managed to oust the new regime and take control of the club.

Previous manager Oliver was reappointed alongside joint boss Paul Edwards as promotion was achieved in 2018-19 with the side becoming Division Two champions. A new management team arrived after the Covid-19 pandemic wrote off two years. Town were relegated at the completion of the 2012-22 season.

Craig Hughes and David Pounder arrived as the new management team in May 2022, lasting a few months before being replaced by Paul Wardle and Chris Baker in November 2022. A fourth place finish prior to the appointment of Steve Cockrill in May 2023. 

Things didn’t work out, with Steve Connolly being appointed to take over in the first half of the 2023-24 season.

Billingham Town FC will play in Northern League Division Two in the 2023-24 season.

My visit

Wednesday 9th January 2008

I passed by the ground on the train from Stockton as I was having a look at some grounds in the area before going to watch Scarborough Athletic play at nearby Thornaby that evening, with Billingham Town and neighbours Synthonia on my radar.

After a short walk from the station I was met by the sight of a man locking up the gates. I introduced myself and he kindly opened up again for me to take some snaps. I clumsily didn't catch his name but he was very proud of the club and the ground.


Three sides consists of a little terracing and flat concrete and grass. There is a small cover on the far side of the pitch. On the fourth side is the Main Stand, which is a cantilever structure with seating and a press box. The players emerge through a tunnel at the front, with the changing rooms and clubhouse behind.

The gentleman then kindly gave me a lift to my next stop, Central Avenue, home of local rivals Billingham Synthonia.



 

No comments: