Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Kingsbury Town



Kingsbury Town FC was a football club based within view of Wembley Stadium in North West London. They were formed in 1919. They played in local leagues and in 1953 they moved to their present home ground in what is now known as Silver Jubilee Park. They became founder members of the London Spartan League. 

The team had spells in the Athenian and Isthmian Leagues before settling down the South Midlands League. One of the club’s players , Mark Hart, went on to become Chairman of the club during it’s most successful period in the mid to late 1980’s and he returned in 2005. During this period the club also, briefly, changed it’s name to Kingsbury 584 FC as part of a sponsorship deal with a local garage.


London Tigers is a Bangladeshi community led youth & sports charity organisation established in 1986. They are based in the City of Westminster, although working across the London Boroughs of Camden, Brent, Ealing, Harrow and Tower Hamlets.


In 2006 London Tigers were looking for a good competitive league for their football section to play in. Kingsbury Town were struggling so a deal was done with London Tigers so that Kingsbury London Tigers became the first team at the club.

Brent Council announced that they would not be offering a lease to the club after the 2010-11 season, so the club moved to the Viking Ground at Greenford for the 2011-12 season. Once at Greenford the Kingsbury part of the name was dropped so the club became London Tigers FC.


My visits

I originally called in to have a look at the Silver Jubilee Park ground in May 1999 on a days groundhopping in the area. The ground was locked but it was easy to see inside from the massive grass banks and fields that surround the enclosure and are used by the public for recreation.

Kingsbury Town 3 Enfield 4 (Wednesday 16th November 2005) Isthmian League Cup Second Round (att: 12)

My visit for a game was a last minute decision. I had been catching with an old colleague from Lord's, Martin Charters near his home in Winchmore Hill. We had plentiful drinks and he was going home for tea. I mulled over whether to make the effort or not to go to a Second Round Isthmian League Cup tie. 

I got as far as King's Cross with the beers flowing through my veins when I made the decision to go. I was pushing it as it was around 6.45 already. I got on a Thameslink train to Hendon where my knowledge told me I could get a bus to the road at the top of the park near the ground. 


I waited ages for a bus and eventually arrived at the ground about ten minutes in. There were no programmes but they had also given up collecting admission fees. I stood and chatted with the Enfield fans. Just what they thought of bumping into a merry Scarborough fan in such circumstances, I dread to think. 

We chatted about the good old days but when I suggested they merge with Enfield Town FC and slowly become strong again as one club as they once had been they wanted to change the subject. There was obviously no love lost between the two parties.

The game was a real thriller for those who'd been bothered to turn up. It ended in a 4-3 win for the away side. I remember distinctly the lack of catering as well as programmes as I was very hungry. All in all I had a very good random night out.

Thursday 12th October 2006

I made a second visit to take photos one damp afternoon in 2006. Road access to Silver Jubilee Park was from Townsend Lane. Entry to the ground was from a corner of the ground. The near goal to the left had a few steps of terracing with a small cover in the centre. 


A path led around the rest of the ground along with flat grass standing. The far end goal had a couple of steps for spectators which left one side where all the facilities lie. The far half continued as the rest of the ground before a small stand with yellow and black tip up seats stood on the half way line. 

The clubhouse and changing rooms stand behind it and carried on up to the corner flag. Silver Jubilee Park was nothing spectacular as a ground but it had everything required for the standard the club played at, in a pleasant location.








No comments: