Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Friday 4 February 2011

London APSA
















London APSA FC was a non-league football club based in Plaistow, east London in 1993 to compete in the first Asian Football League; continuing until the completion of the 2017-18 season when they disappeared from the non-league radar.

The club were originally known as Ahle Sunnah and came about when a group of friends from Newham's East Ham College merged with a local youth team known as Young Muslims FC. The club went on to change their name to London All Peoples' Sports Association FC, or London APSA.


APSA applied to enter the Essex Senior League in 2002 but were turned down as facilities at their preferred venue at the Terence McMillan Stadium didn't meet the required the criteria. However with help from Aveley FC who offered the use of their home ground, APSA were admitted the following season.

APSA eventually got the McMillan Stadium up to scratch and moved in to be in the area in which they were formed. The club changed its name to Newham FC for the 2014-15 season to try and attract local support and attention.


After finishing in thirteenth and then bottom position in 2015-16, the club reverted to their London APSA title, having failed to gather up any extra support. It would appear that the club sat out competitive football for a year before returning in the Essex Olympian League in 2016-17.

A second from bottom place finish saw a move to the Essex Alliance; where they finished second from bottom of the Premier Division in 2017-18 while playing at Flanders Playing Fields in East Ham. 


My visit

London APSA 2 Southend Manor 4 (Thursday 20th January 2011) Essex Senior League Cup Group H (att: 32)





I had been to two Essex Senior League games of late and had thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I was impressed with the standard of football and of course the value for money it offered. I had noticed a couple of weeks earlier that APSA played the occasional Thursday night game, so when I was on early shifts this fixture stood out.

The choice was even easier as the other challenger, the Surrey Senior Cup game between Colliers Wood United and AFC Wimbledon had fallen victim to the weather. So after a siesta and a fine meal and guest ale at the Baker Street Wetherspoon's I took the Jubilee line to Canning Town. From there a bus took me directly to the approach road to the Newham Leisure Centre, to which the Terence McMillan Stadium was part of.



I walked past the open all weather five a side courts and into the centre's reception. I was shown the way through and walked down a corridor and through an open fire door. This took me out to the side of the running track of the stadium. A welcoming lady took my £5 plus another quid for the decent programme. 

The pitch looked quite a long way across the track. It was very open with a small grass bank around the track. The dug outs were on the far side. Behind the near end was the main building of the leisure centre where the players emerged from. On the near side another facility that appeared to be hosting judo and basketball had a few rows of seats under the roofs overhang. The club had a large hut which it shared with the host athletic club, the Newham & Essex Beagles which was being used to serve refreshments and as a club room. Spectators only had access down this side.



The match kicked off on the rather bumpy surface with the visitors from Southend in the ascendancy. They went two up and looked like they would stroll the game. The match was in one of the three team groups in which the winners progressed and Manor went into the game at the top. 

I recognised the young referee from officiating the Bethnal Green v Witham match in which he was quite fussy. It was another game in an athletic stadium and he was insistent on a ball being ready as soon as it crossed the track. At one point I thought he was going to book me for time wasting when a retrieved a stray pass. The bloke a few seats along agreed with me. By amazing coincidence he'd also been at the same game as me the week before.



APSA had a magnificent character at the back. He clearly enjoyed his food and drink and just about squeezed into his shirt. He wasn't the most mobile but he could play. I laughed my head off when his mates called for the ball. He was called Matthew Frew but his nickname was 'Burger'! Indeed, the meaty one had put Manor two up with a magnificent headed own goal.

Just before the break APSA were back in it. They fielded five debutant's on the evening and reduced the arrears with a penalty, the first they'd been awarded in two seasons of home matches. It was interesting that APSA had players from all colours and religions, fully encapsulating the district they represent.




At half time I took advantage of the refreshments. I liked the idea of everything costing 50p, whether it was for tea, coffee, crisps or a chocolate bar. Suitably warmed I went back outside and saw the equaliser go in.

Manor went ahead again through a deflected free kick and then another goal in the seventy fifth minute. I gave it a few minutes longer and waited by the exit for a few minutes. I was rewarded as I saw the award of a very soft penalty to the home team which was consequently smashed over via the crossbar.




I made my way out and to the bus back to Canning Town, followed by another one through true Eastender territory to Aldgate and the train home.

I really enjoyed the game. I found APSA well organised and friendly. They had a photographer on the side of the pitch and their website featured a good account of the game in later days. It isn't ideal watching a game across a running track with very little elevation for spectators, but they make the best of what they've got. Credit to them.








No comments: